Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Skateboard is Here


After much delay the skateboard from skatedeluxe has arrived. The delay itself was in not fault to skatedeluxe and more so on DHL and covid-19. But the board is here now so moving on :).

I have assembled the board and went out for my first session. I did video the whole thing but something went wrong with the SD card so I lost all the footage.

Setup

  • Wheels: Spitfire Formula Four Tablets 51mm 99a
At first I was looking at bones but once I fell into a DLX rabbit hole I wanted a complete DLX setup. Formula four Spitfires are some of the best wheels you can get at the moment. I wanted a small wheel to avoid wheel bit with my low trucks(which is still happening) and the softer 99a duro because I will be skating street mostly and not at smooth park
  • Deck: Anti Hero Team Classic Eagle 8.06
The part that started it all. After reading about how and where the boards were made it was clear that I wanted a deck from BBS as the distributor and the DLX brand decks were the best of the bunch.
DLX makes Anti Hero, Krooked, Real
  • Trucks: Venture V-Hollow Lights Lo 5.25
I wanted a truck from DLX with a 8in axel. So that meant Venture or Thunder. No real reason for going with a lo truck instead of a high. low being 48mm and high being 55mm. All Thunder trucks are 50mm so I think next time I will go with Thunders
  • Hardware: Independent Phillips
  • Bearings: Bones Reds
Cheap and recommended by almost everyone. When they need replacing I am going to step up to bones Swiss as I hear they last longer and roll a little better
  • Grip Tape: Mob Basic
I didn't trust the free grip tap and most people seem to skate Mob or Jessup.

First ride

Having been on a skateboard when I was younger the very basics like pushing and stopping weren't that hard. I was mostly working on kick turns and ways to pickup and put down the board.

FrontSide kickturns were not a issue I was almost able to do full 180s. BackSide kickturns were a mess so something to work on. 

Hills.... My main issue with hills are if I don't feel there is a natural way of slowing down I start to get nervous as the speed builds ups. I tried a few different ways to slow down first just getting off the board and then a bit of putting my foot down. I was messing around on a few hills and only ate it once. Of course it was in front of kids and in my estate and NOT alone at the near by school ha

Planning on doing weekly progression updates so next post will be in a week

The long awaited skatedeluxe order. No issues with how it arrived or how it was packaged. I liked that they put all the smaller parts in it's own little box.


 Overview of the parts

 After the first session